Sunday

Veronica Fitzpatrick

Kiss and Ride


When Tiffin and Natalie laughed at the sign
they were implicating kisses,
those clammy undoings
native to the back four seats of the bus.
Only I understood
how ride was twice as dirty,
having read my father's
double stack of Mayfairs several
weeks before.
In the hours my parents spent
browsing at Magruder's,
I re-read the readers' letters, absorbing
new erotic verbs: ride, as in
to ride a hot rod, which requires
one to arch and writhe,
a repertoire of measures I would
later explain
and ultimately demonstrate
secluded in the den,
imagining the tartan slipcover
as a velvet quilt,
pleased I knew enough
to be the boy.



Cochlea


flush light cavity,
petal canal

I have built boats
dispatched them

down your
drowsy channel

swabbed in circles
at your innermost

wall, I have panted
out coordinates

disbelieved
resistance

fancied the tunnel
a constant conch

and tightened
and tightened

this
smallest screw



Veronica Fitzpatrick grew up in Virginia. She holds a BA and MFA from Michigan State University and the University of Notre Dame, respectively, and is also an alumna/apostle of the UVa Young Writers Workshop. She currently lives and teaches film in northern Indiana.